Something

Google+
Loading
random musings

June 2, 2010

So many projects, so little time

Hope y'all had a wonderful memorial day weekend. Mine was pretty quiet, yet productive - sort of. It seems like I work best in spurts. Right now there are at least 6 projects in the works. Six! It's like I have DIY ADD or something.

Anyways, here's the weekend summary. I made rice-krispie inspired treats for coffee hour [at church]. The source of inspiration was a recipe by Heidi Swanson at 101cookbooks.com [click here for the original recipe]. Since Christmas, when my holiday baking resulted in purchasing/using 15lbs of sugar (yes. fifteen), I've been limiting the household granulated sugar consumption. Plus I wanted something appealing to midwestern palates. And everything had to be from the pantry.

The final recipe:

2 c Kashi "twig" cereal [note: puffed rice does not work well]
3/8 c peanut butter [I used Skippy chunky]
3/8c honey
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
1/4 c coarsely chopped almonds
handful dried cranberries, coarsely chopped [to add color, almonds and Kashi are kinda boring]
1/2 tsp salt

Method:
In a large bowl, mix cereal, almonds and dried berries. Melt the honey, peanut butter, salt and gelatin together [~5 minutes on a gas stove]. Pour melted mixture into dry mixture and stir well. Spoon into muffin cups and refrigerate [to set the gelatin]. Makes ~12

Notes:
I found that the treats were not quite as sticky as traditional krispies. This  wasn't a problem for the crowd I was working with, but if I were to serve these to young kiddos, I'd up the gelatin by 1/2 tsp. Also, when I make these again, I will reduce the salt - while tasty, I think a better balance can be achieved with  3/8c commercial peanut butter and 1//4 tsp salt. If you're making this with an all natural/no-salt nut butter, I'd keep the original salt amount.

Oh and here's a teaser of one of the projects:






No comments:

Post a Comment