Something

Google+
Loading
random musings

February 18, 2012

Couldn't have done it without you!

Remember this shot?




After all that work on the door, the grody 70s iron porch support was in serious need of tlc. I was having some work done on the overhang which required my contractor to remove the support for access so I just asked him to leave the 4x4 treated post, which I then wrapped with cedar boards and stained black.


I all honesty, I would never have attempted this project if it wasn't for a tute on porch column construction published by Traci @ Beneath My Heart. You can find it here. (Traci and Cy also just did a brilliant remodel of their kitchen top-to-bottom in record time - check it out!). My initial thought was to chemically strip the many many layers of rusting paint (lovely, right?) and spray paint the thing with a few coats of Rustoleum's hammered metal finish. Soooo glad I did this instead.....



Thanks for the inspiration, Traci and Cy!

The DIY Show Off

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Way to go! It looks so much better. :)
    I bet you are just in love with it. I am so honored that our little tutorial helped you to update your porch. How cool is that?!
    And thank you for the shout out to us in the post.
    Blessings,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really looks great. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a big difference! I am loving your use of black on your exterior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanja! I really can't take credit, it's a pretty common (read: unimaginative) color scheme in my town. I can't wait for warm weather so I can paint the shutters black too!

      Delete