Something

Google+
Loading
random musings

March 9, 2012

Recipe review: Italian wedding soup

Are you a soup fan? I am. When I was little (and my mom was feeling guilty for having worked all week), she would let me pick the menu for weekends and I'd ask for soup. For lunch and for dinner. Both days. If I was lucky I would get a soup-like dessert too! Now that I reflect actively, I believe one of my favorite breakfast meals, congee, would qualify as a soup-like as well :-)

The bf would definitely mount a protest if I filled every slot on the meal plan with a soup-like dish. But this one seems to satisfy us both. 


To be completely frank, I was staring at the contents of my freezer seeking inspiration for the upcoming week's menu when I noticed some frozen meatballs lurking about. In the past, my go-to use for meatballs is primarily a way to make red sauce special. However, with the diet in full force, I am trying to reduce the percentage of calories that come from carbs. This recipe fit the bill exactly. 

Tweaks to the recipe: (2  meal-sized portions, 4 - 6 sides)
  • 10 frozen meatballs
  • 5 c chicken broth
  • 1 c water
  • 4 carrots, sliced to 1" pieces
  • 1 bunch kale, stems removed and torn
  • 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • salt, to taste
  • parmesan rind
  • 4 oz pasta, dry
Bake the meatballs at 350F for 15-20 min, turning once and set aside. In a 4 qt pot, bring the rest of ingredients except pasta and salt to a boil. Simmer until carrots and kale are tender. Add meatballs and pasta. Boil until pasta is tender. Taste and add salt if necessary.


Yum! 

According to online recipe nutrition calculators this dinner weighed in at ~500 cal/serving. It could easily be reduced to 350cals by reducing one meatball per serving and eliminating the pasta completely.

Note: I made this twice, once with a cheese rind and once without. The first was definitely better.



1 comment:

  1. I feel much the same way about soup as you do. When eating ice cream, do you smoosh it up with a spoon until it's slurp-able? Ice cream soup!

    Fortunately, the husband is pretty fond of soup too. We could probably eat every night (and for lunch too!)

    ReplyDelete