Enter builder-grade fixtures:
After a few coats of Krylon's ORB:
But I can still see the brassyness. Especially when the light is on. I am on a mission to get rid of brass in the house. My solution? Frosted glass spray paint.
Here's the same treatment using Rustoleum's Semigloss White on recessed lighting in the den:
Project breakdown:
cost:
frosted glass spray paint: ~$4.50
ORB: free [left over from den & dresser projects]
time: start-to-finish, 24hrs; hands-on, < 1hr
Note1: if you are looking for a factory finish, this process will not do the trick. However, if you are just trying to get 95% of the way there, it does the job. I figure my house will never be considered "new", but I'd prefer the perception be "slightly used" instead of "needs to be gutted".
Note2: the frosted spray paint is a lot more fumey than regular spray paint. I was in the garage (with the door open) and periodically would go back into the house to escape fumes.
Note3: If you are just trying to swap out one old builder-grade fixture, I'd say you're better off just buying one. The time savings is totally worth the $5-6 extra bucks of savings. However, I have four (4) of these puppies, and it took only 1 can of each paint type to transform all of them, so for me it was < $10 vs. ~$50. Totally worth it.




No comments:
Post a Comment